LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — McCarran International Airport is reporting its Terminal 3 Economy Lot and Terminal 1 garage are full and closed. McCarran is advising people to park in the Terminal 3 Garage for Long Term Parking.
The number of people traveling for the Thanksgiving Day holiday is expected to be close to pre-pandemic levels which means airports, including McCarran International Airport will be busy.
“This Thanksgiving, travel will look a lot different than last year,” said Paula Twidale, senior vice president, AAA Travel. “Now that the borders are open and new health and safety guidelines are in place, travel is once again high on the list for Americans who are ready to reunite with their loved ones for the holiday.”
AAA’s holiday forecast expects more than 53 million people to travel this year between November 24 and the 28th.
According to AAA, the heaviest and most expensive travel days will be Tuesday and Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving. Monday will be the lightest travel day.
Here are some things to know before your flight:
- Arrive to the airport early so you will have plenty of time to get through TSA lines. It’s suggested you arrive 2 hours early for domestic flights and 3 hours for international flights.
- This link will show you which terminal you will depart from for your flight.
- If you need a wheelchair, make prior arrangements or expect a wait.
- Please check with TSA for the latest travel guidelines and what is allowed in carry-on baggage.
- Have a parking plan. Parking at Terminal 1 is in high demand and the long term garage may reach capacity and close. Long term parking is also offered at Terminal 3 and the Terminal 1 Economy Lot. You can check the parking options and prices at this link. You can get a live update on the parking situation by calling (702) 261-5122.
On Wednesday, McCarran International Airport expects to have real-time updates of parking as well as security checkpoint lines throughout the day on Twitter @LASairport.
McCarran Airport officials say Terminal 1 parking has been almost at capacity on weekends so locals traveling and planning to park at the airport need to factor in plenty of extra time.
“Hopefully I will be able to leave out on Monday, so I hope the parking and bookings aren’t that bad,” Thelma Dodson said regarding her travel plans for Thanksgiving.
When the Terminal 1 parking structure is filled, drivers will be directed to the Terminal 3 long-term garage. There is also the economy lot with a courtesy shuttle service. Give yourself at least another 60 minutes if you plan on parking there.
Parking fees will be enforced. Remember rideshare apps can save you time.
Some of the top travel destinations in the U.S. are Orlando, Florida, Anaheim, California, and New York.